Journey and Evolution of The Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Parsee Charitable Institution
In 1890, the Honourable Seth Byramjee Jeejeebhoy C.S.I. (1822-1890) created a Trust with the object of establishing a school for poor Parsee boys setting aside a munificent sum of Rs. 3,50,000.
The School was formally inaugurated on 12th September 1891, the First Death Anniversary of the founder, by Seth Rustomjee Byramjee Jeejeebhoy (1864-1922), the First Chairman of the board of Trustees. At that time, it was housed in a hired building on Queen's Road, opposite Marine Lines Railway Station, and had only primary and middle school sections.
Boys from the Parsee communities were admitted to the school. In 1908 the School was shifted to its present palatial premises, opposite Charni Road Railway Station, built at a cost of Rs. 4,50,000. At the turn of the century, special commercial classes were instituted. The classes continued for nearly 30 years and were temporarily suspended to be revived once again in 1946. Since 1954, the institution has grown into a Multipurpose High School, providing academic, commercial, and technical education to suit the ability, aptitude, and interest of every student.
The Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Parsee Charitable Institution is managed by the Board of Trustees. The Trustees are Mr. Rustom N.B. Jeejeebhoy, Mr. Rohinton C. Padder, Mr. Byram R. Jeejeebhoy and Mr. Jamshed B. Jeejeebhoy.
The Trustees work in an honorary capacity and are responsible for the recruitment of teachers and staff. They also oversee Institution's administration, do the budgets for its finances, undertake distribution of scholarships and plan for the successful execution of syllabus as it often changes from year to year.
Thousands of students have taken advantage of the munificence of the Founder and other generous donors and passed out from the portals of this magnificent institution.
The school became co-educational in 1972 and started its Higher Secondary course in Commerce & Science in 1975 and 1978 respectively. In 1985 the Institution began to admit students of all religions. In 1989, Electronics was introduced. In 1991, Computer Education was also introduced. In 2011, the Nursery Section was added to the institution. Maths and I.T. subjects were introduced in the Commerce stream in 2016 & 2019 respectively keeping in mind the ever-growing needs of the student community.
With great pride, we wish to put on record that in the academic year 2019-20, a New Division has been approved of in the Commerce Stream by the Government of Maharashtra.
From The Principal’s Desk…
To travel on the paths of education is the fundamental right of every child. However, in recent times the influx of different types of educational institutions has actually created confusion in the minds of children and their parents in making the correct choice, albeit, it is extremely essential as this is where a child is shaped and moulded into becoming young men and women, of character.
The Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Institution which came into existence in 1891, has ever since its inception, 129 years ago, lived up to its promised mission of teaching young boys and girls to grow and work ‘virtuously and laboriously’. Right values and consistent hard work are certainly the right tools in chiselling out worthy citizens. This has been our mission for the future towards which we strive relentlessly.
The paradigm shift in current times in establishing schools tenaciously, indeed, is a cause for concern. Amidst this frenzy of new-age schools, the BJPCI continues to shine as a ‘lighthouse’ where value-based and wholesome education is imparted with utmost commitment and dedication. This endeavour of the Institution is fructified by dedicated teaching staff, in collaboration with caregivers (Parents/Guardians) who strive meaningfully to make a difference in the lives of our precious students one child at a time. So...Come and be blessed.
Great teachers kindle lifetime inspirations. They engender in their students an appetite for profound learning. The Squad of Mentors at the BJPCI grooms students to explore themselves to their best, in this world full of endless possibilities.
Present set up of the School & Junior College: Mrs. P. Anchees, M.A. B.Ed. Principal, Mr. F.B. Mistry, B.Com. L.L.B. (C.E.O), Teachers : HSC Section: Mrs V. Nambiar, M.Sc, B.Ed, Mrs. V. Mhatre, M.Sc, B.Ed, Mrs. N. Mishra, M.A, B.Ed, Mrs. A. Jaison, M.Com, B.Ed, Mrs. S. Almeida, M.Sc, B.Ed, Ms. B. Nair, M.Sc, B.Ed, Mrs. T. Damanwalla, B.A., Diploma in Nutrition, Mrs. J. Agarwal, M.Sc. (Food Science), Mr. S. Gupta, M.Com, B.Ed, Ms. F. Kerawalla, M.Com, B.Ed., D.F.P.- B2, Mr. A. Rawal, Pursuing B.E. (Electronics Instructor), Ms.P. Rathod, Ms. R. Ukken. Secondary Section: Mrs D. Zohrabi, B.A., B.Ed, Ms. R. Sayed, M.A, B.Ed, Mrs R. Danawale, S.S.C. A.M, Ms. V. Pawar, B.Com., NIIT(Com.), Mrs R. Raichura, M.Sc, B.Ed, Ms. P. Shahiwalla, M.A, B.Ed, Mr. P. Salekar, M.A, B.Ed, Mr. R. Chandan, B.Com., M.P.Ed, Mrs. V. Singh, M.Sc, B.Ed, Mr. N. Qureshi S.S.C (Band Master), Mr. A. Bhagat, H.S.C. (Judo Teacher), Mr. H. Nelson, B.Com. (Judo Teacher), Primary Section: Mrs. L. Louis, B.A, D.E.C.C.E, Mrs. K. Buhariwalla, D.E.C.C.E, Mrs. D. Vasa, B.A, B.Ed, Ms.N. More, B.M.S., D.Ed, Mrs. S. Yellala, H.S.C. (Assistant), Ms. T. Raut, B.Com. (Aerobics), Pre-Primary Section: Mrs. P. Almeida, B.A. D.E.C.C.E, Ms. B. Shaikh, S.S.C. (Assistant), Nursery: Mrs. Z. Bacha, B.A., D.E.C.C..E, Mrs G. Bhoir, B.Com., D.E.C.C.E, Counsellor: Mrs. P.Shah, M.A., (Education & Counselling).